Thursday, April 1, 2010

My ranking of the supporting actress winners of the decade

So, we ended a decade, so it's high time I did this and I'm gonna start with this category since it's the easiest to decide and this category is the most popular one (but it's not my favorite). I give very brief comments.

1. Mo'Nique in Precious: Horror, anger, disappointment, bitterness. This performance is sheer perfection. I was sceptic at the beginning but in the last few weeks something came to me and I just can't get her out of my head. This is unbelievable and in my overall ranking a #3 right now. It's just... I'm just watching it over and over.

2. Tilda Swinton in Michael Clayton: Great actress, chilling performance, deserved surprise award.

3. Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock: Again great actress, great performance and the most deserved huge upset win ever.

4. Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener: Weisz gives a very intelligent and great performance, which becomes much greater in your mind after watching it.

5. Cate Blanchett in The Aviator: She's like Mercedes Ruehl. I'm not sure if she was fully deserving, but I really loved her a lot.

6. Penélope Cruz in Vicky Cristina Barcelona: People either adore or loathe her. Well, I sure like her, but this is not a deserved win. Entertaining work, though.

7. Jennifer Connelly in A Beautiful Mind: This is such a dull performance and a worse version of Marcia Gay Harden's character in Pollock.

8. Catharine Zeta-Jones in Chicago: Sometimes she's good, she looks great, sings well and everything in good in itself but this performance is a bit pretentious.

9. Renée Zellweger in Cold Mountain: Gosh, that accent was sooooooooooooo horrible. It really bothered my ears. This is one of those "rewarding the big star" awards.

10.Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls: I used to love this performance (yes, I did), but I guess I just was the victim of the nice brainwashing hype and in time I discovered the real nature of this performance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine is almost similar :)

1. Mo'Nique
2. Marcia Gay Harden
3. Rachel Weisz
4. Tilda Swinton
5. Jennifer Connolly
6. Cate Blanchett
7. Catharine Zeta Jones
8. Renee Zellweger
9. Penelope Cruz
10.Jennifer Hudson

joe burns said...

Mine is:

1. Monique

2. Catherine Zeta-Jones

3. Rachel Weisz

4. Tilda Swinton

5. Marcia Gay Harden

6. Penelope Cruz

7. Cate Blanchett

8. Renee Zellweger

9. Jennifer Hudson

10. Jennifer Conelly