Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Final Conclusion - Best Actress 2009

We finally got to the end of our reviewed first year, 2009. Actually, many say that this was a truly weak, and of course giving five stars to four performances means that I was deeply satisfied with this year's nominees and had any of the members of my top 3 won, I also would have been satisfied. These ladies prove that you can give a stellar performance no matter what. Stone-cold sober I find these women fascinating (Whom did I quote?:D). Gosh this decision was so painful as I feel really sorry for #2 (especially her) and #3, but in time one of them might become my pick. This is just how I feel at the moment. But I won't let the suspense go on, let's just jump to the ranking:

5. Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side
Although Bullock suffers from an awful screenplay, a predictable movie and a terrible cast, she was still able to give a decent, but not brilliant performance, which was definitelyworthy of winning the Oscar, but was able to save a movie from being a total disaster with the help of Bullock's charm.


4. Helen Mirren in The Last Station
Although I used to way too generous in my rating, I am still very shocked how much people dislike Dame Helen in The Last Station. As Sofya Tolstoya, she was able to give a fine performance which is unfortunately not for everyone (and this might be its biggest flaw), but still amazed me.


3. Gabourey Sidibe in Precious
This is a devastating, moving and heartbreaking piece of work, which is not without flaws, though. Despite Sidibe's inexperience, her performance truly speaks for itself and one just cannot get across Sidibe's greatness, which I hope to see very often in the future.

2. Carey Mulligan in An Education
Mulligan solves everything with grace and amazing naturality, I can't say enough times how great she really is. To sum up, this is a beautiful and really memorable performance by a rising beauty and star, who's sure to become a marvellous and acclaimed actress

1. Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia
Had the movie been only about Julia (and hadn't it been for that dreadful It's Complicated which ruined her chances) Meryl would have easily won her third. She did not, but again she gifted us with a performance which is truly-truly unforgettable and top-class. I felt lucky that I saw her and could experience her greatness.

So I announce that my winner for this year is...
Meryl Streep in Julie and Julia
Bon appétit! Viva Meryl!.


So what do you think about my reviews? Should I go on doing this or am I completely awful? Do you agree with my ranking or do you say Bullock deserved to win? You can also suggest years I should do next, and I tell if it's possible (I have a plan too) .

6 comments:

joe burns said...

I was really hoping Carey would win! But that's fine. My ranking would be:

1. Mulligan

2. Sidibe

3. Mirren

4. Streep

5. Bullock

And yes keep doing this!

Louis Morgan said...

Bullock did not deserve to win, I probably agree with Joe's ranking, and keep doing the reviews.

joe burns said...

1995 would be a good year to do and 1940!

Fritz said...

Great work and keep doing it! (I hope we don't get a 'Best-Actress-overkill' someday! :-) )

Josep said...

It's an easy win, Meryl was fantastic.

2009 have some incredible omissions: Tilda Swinton (Julia), Charlotte Gainsbourg (Antichrist) and especially Giovanna Mezzogiorno (Vincere) were way better than all the nominees. I recommend you to see them

Waltsu said...

I loved Bullock and I personally think that it is one of the most underestimated performances and oscar wins.