Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Final Conclusion - Best Actress 1966

Középre igazítás
About the field: Well, I expected more from this year and yet I wasn't disappointed. I liked all of the performances and all of the movies (except for Morgan, which was...). My #1 was such an easy win both here and in real life. It's one of those cases when the actress wins for the career-best, right movie. #2 and #5 was also quite easy, however I had some hard time deciding who should be #3. I'm glad that it turned out this way, which I really did not expect. I was quite certain that my #3 becomes #2 before I wrote my review. However, anything can happen, seasons change. Let's see the ranking:

After all, I just feel that I don't have much to say about Vanessa Redgrave in this movie. She's great as usual (and that's going to be rewarded), but the movie is working against her as if she was on a boat during a hurricane.

In the end, I can say that I loved Anouk Aimée in this one very much, but sometimes I felt that her performance lacked something and wasn't constantly strong. It's an extremely simple, beautiful, clean and loveable work to which the viewer can easily connect.

In the end I can say that Ida Kaminska gave an excellent performance, which might be a bit uneven achievement and borderline supporting, but you instantly like the character, care about her and she just breaks your heart in the end. It's a great performance in a movie for the ages.

I must say that I was impressed by Lynn Redgrave's performance as the innocent Georgy, who has many layers and a real depth, though sometimes the performance was not constantly strong. Great and effective work, which even moved me, but I guess I wanted a bit more.

The writing flies away, but Taylor's performance stays with me forever, locked up firmly in my mind. An actress, who was able to show another, unknown and much more interesting side of hers, now really got me. I'm under its effect and I can't be sober. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
 
So I can proudly announce
that my winner is...
Elizabeth Taylor in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Easy win, Ms. Taylor

About the next year: it was so complicated to choose the next year, but after all I picked a brilliant one I really look forward to reviewing. Unfortunately I cannot do posts until next Friday, but after that there's going to be a lot of time. Let's see the clues:
  • Dancing queen...
  • To Miss with Love (?)
  • Don't lose your head! (Sorry)
So what do you think? Any thoughts, request, anything on your mind?
P.S.: Please comment on Ida's profile. :)

5 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

Easy year to pick the winner, harder to predict the exact ranking.

Next year I'll guess 1969.
Head Loss=Anne of a thousand days.
To miss= Miss Jean Brodie
Dancing Queen=They shoot horses.

dinasztie said...

Exactly. I would have sworn when I started that Kaminska would be 2nd with 5 Meryls.

You might just be right. :)

Anonymous said...

Liz is unbeatable! But I'm glad you liked Lynn who was luminous.

Brandon said...

One of the best performances of all time thanks to Ms. Taylor!

joe burns said...

Knew it!