Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Final Conclusion - Best Actress 1943

1943

So the much anticipated ranking is:

I was quite disappointed by this performance as I expected way more of Greer Garson, a truly wonderful actress. She's trapped in a boring movie, which is the enemy of its on and she's sometimes overshadowed by the boredom of Walter Pidgeon. Under these circumstances, it's a decent performance with problems.
Everything works perfectly with this performance. Then why am I still a bit disappointed? For some reason, I was never totally blown away by Jean Arthur's work. Although I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end, there wasn't a moment when I said "Wow! She's amazing!". Still, it's a well-played, entertaining comedy role and I really don't have complaints.

I wouldn't say that this is a pleasant surprise because I expected to like Joan but I was really impressed by Joan Fontaine's performance as Tessa. Although this is neither groundbreaking nor amazing work, I enjoyed every minute of it. Joan never fails to make Tessa a sympathetic character and I liked the character overall.

It might seem like that I'm collecting many things to prove that I like her (because of my love for Ingrid) but I'm indeed quite fond of this performance. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's quite impressive and interesting. Ingrid does her usual routine and the result of it was positive for me. Not great but certainly good.

A no-brainer, easy winner. I really did not expect to be impressed by Jennifer THIS much but I was, after all. Jennifer Jones is nothing short of amazing as St. Bernadette. Her grace and dignity shines through the screen and grabs your attention and never lets you go. It's a wonderful, unforgettable performance that's not as frequently talked about as it should be. A real miracle, if I may say so.

So I can proudly announce
the winner is...
Jennifer Jones
in
The Song of Bernadette
Easy win.


Omissions:
Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca *My Pick*  (Do I have to explain????)

Final thoughts: A mixed bag. Jennifer Jones got my vote very easily. I liked the rest of the ladies, too but to a much lesser extent. Joan and Ingrid were almost equal for me, Jean was not far behind them and Greer wasn't much worse than them. I think it's a very even but quite weak year and Jennifer so obviously stands out in this bunch. She's just wonderful. Otherwise, I enjoyed this year but didn't love it.

Note: From now on, I won't rank the years. I don't really see the point of it.

About the next year: Wow, I'm ending the summer with a really strong three-way race. I'm very excited to give clues once again (after such a long time :D). However, I can only start reviewing next Saturday. But I'll annonce the year on Wednesday.
  • Mommie dearest (x2)
  • Don't get THIS mad!
  • Leading or supporting? Vanity will decide. :D
So what do you think? Any thoughts on your mind?

6 comments:

Alex Constantin said...

1976

dinasztie said...

Oh, you... :D

Louis Morgan said...

I'll say 1995 since it is a year I have actually seen all the nominees in.

Fritz said...

I'm very happy that Jennifer took it! Great work!

joe burns said...

I want to see Jones! I hope you have links to some of these films. I'll check to see which ones are availale and which ones aren't, when I do it.



Yay for 1976! Such an interesting year! Liv for the win!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you're doing 1976?! !!! I can't wait! I hope hope hope you love Barrault as much as I do!