Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Final Conclusion - Best Actress 1962

1962


So the much anticipated ranking is:

Although Lee Remick is overshadowed in many ways, she's just excellent as Kirsten, a pathetic woman, a real victim. Her story is very heartbreaking and you don't get any fun out of it but Remick's realism in this part is really impressive. A great performance that should be much more frequently talked about.


I would kill to see this performance on the stage but instead I have to make do with a great motion picture performance that's nothing short of excellent. Geraldine Page makes Alexandra a very fascinating character and she single-handedly makes the movie worthy of watching. This work is a real treat. Truly-truly memorable effort by a great actress.

I must say that I was thouroughly impressed by the performance of Katharine Hepburn. Although there's something in me that prevented me from totally embrace it, I still find her truly amazing in her part. As Mary Tyrone, she's just chilling and really disturbing but she never overplays Mary's broken personality. Fantastic work.

I was totally amazed by Anne Bancroft's star-making turn as Annie Sullivan, the determined and tough teacher. Anne Bancroft created a multi-layered fascinating character that is a real joy to watch. Her beauty shines through the screen and it's effect is just astonishing. I was taken by this work and I can only praise her for this. It's kind of cheesy to say it's a miracle but for me, it is.

This is an iconic performance and rightfully so. It's both delicious and shocking, funny and disgusting. Bette's brilliance is at (another) peak here and she's really unforgettable. No matter what she does on the screen, it's going to be something that you'll never ever forget. She nails each and every nuance of Baby Jane and the result is a fantastic, dazzling and intense work by a brilliant actress.

So I can proudly announce
the winner is...
Bette Davis
in
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Who gets the last laugh?

Final thoughts: A really great year (the highest grades overall) but somehow I wasn't that blown away. All of these ladies were great but somehow I didn't enjoy this year as much as I expected to. Still, a wonderful year with great performances. The ranking was very difficult for me but I hopw to have made the right decision. I wasn't very sure but eventually, this seemed like the best alternative.

Omissions: Jeanne Moreau in Jules et Jim; Anna Magnani in Mamma Roma; Shelley Winters in Lolita

About the next year: It's no secret that it will be 1943. :)

What do you think?

9 comments:

Fritz said...

Well, I was expecting it (I should have changed my prediction) but Anne is a deserving choice!

Can I ask how did you see Joan Fontaine's performance in 1943?

dinasztie said...

A friend got it for me. :)

Alex Constantin said...

[I have Constant Nymph also, not impossible to find on torrents] :)

anyway, I've never seen Bancroft. The Miracle Worker sounds very depressing to me, and I refuse to consider anyone replacing Bette for my no. 1 :)

Fritz said...

Alex, see it as soon as you can! It's a truly wonderful movie and not depressing - rather the opposite.

dinasztie said...

Exactly. It's not depressing. At all. It's kind of optimistic and inspirational. :)

Anonymous said...

I love Anne <3

Louis Morgan said...

Bancroft is amazing, and she might be my pick after all, although I really like Page as well.

Andrew K. said...

I think this is one of the strongest Acting line-ups, it's all Geraldine for me though. I find the performance astonishing.

Unknown said...

Can you believe there was a time when Geraldine Page, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis and Anne Bancroft were all still working!? How do you even choose? I've always felt the nomination truly was "the win" considering how political the Oscars have ALWAYS been. The winner is usually not even that important. HOWEVER, in this case I have to give it to Hepburn! She was the greatest actress of all time and handed the greatest female part in 300 years.