Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Smackdown


The year is 1999 and the category is Best Actress in a Supporting Role. In the next days four consecutive years will be smackdowned. Let's just start with the first one.
The nominees were:
 Toni Colette in The Sixth Sense
 Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted (WINNER)
 Catharine Keener in Being John Malkovich
 Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown
 Chloe Sevigny in Boys Don’t Cry

And my ranking is:
1. Chloe Sevigny in Boys Don't Cry
This is a nearly perfect suporting performance: moving, deep, human and nearly as good as Hilary Swank. When you think about Lana, you see a sometimes inconfident girl, who's trying to fight for her love. One of the best nominees ever.
2. Toni Colette in The Sixth Sense
Hmmm, I seriously love this woman. Although I'm a bit angry that she won the Emmy over Tina Fey, I am constantly amazed by her performance in The Sixth Sense. She adds something new to the cliché of the single working mother and her performance works extremely well.
3. Catharine Keener in Being John Malkovich
When I first saw this movie, I did not know where to put it. It's so weird and so is Keener's performance in it. At first glance she seems to be a big-faced bitch, but then she becomes something deeper and more human. Great work, not amazing, but good job anyhow.
4. Angelina Jolie in Girl, Interrupted
Oh I love you, dear Angie. You're the sexiest, most desirable woman in the World but I don't think you were worthy. OK, seriously she is good, but basically she's doing the female Jack Nicholson, which is very entertaining, but sometimes I really felt that she overacted.
5. Samantha Morton in Sweet and Lowdown
It was a very entertaining film and I loved Morton's performance in it. I just did not feel that she was that great. Much better, than some people say. Very sweet and sometimes very moving performance, but I does not deserve a higher ranking.

No comments: