Thursday, October 29, 2009

Smackdown


The year is 2000 and the category is Best Actress in a Supporting Role again. This was a very tough year for me but let's see the nominees:
• Judi Dench in Chocolat
• Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock (WINNER)
• Kate Hudson in Almost Famous
• Frances McDormand in Almost Famous
• Julie Walters in Billy Elliot

And my ranking is:
1. Marcia Gay Harden in Pollock: I'm not as enthusiastic about this performance as many people are, but I found it very deserving and moving. She added something new to the baity role of the suffering wife, I think it's much better Jennifer Conelly's very similar performance in A Beautiful Mind. Excellent work by an excellent actress.
2. Judi Dench in Chocolat: Oh, this was a boring movie. Except for Dame Judi. Gosh, I love her voice so much. This role must not have been very hard for her, but it's really so much fun and she adds so much life to that slow movie.
3. Kate Hudson in Almost Famous: Hmmm... It's like her mothers performance in Cactus Flower: people either love it or loathe it. I belong to neither, I found Kate sexy, funny and emotional. Good work by a mediocore actress.
4. Frances McDormand in Almost Famous: This performance was a bit annoying for me. She has some great moments, but overall it's not more than a good comic role by an extraordinary comedienne.
5. Julie Walters in Billy Elliot : I really loved Julie in Educating Rita, but not in this one. I've never understood the great love towards Billy Elliot and while I don't think she was bad, I never really cared about her. She had a great scene, however.
Here we are again. Are you satisfied? Do you want to kill me because of my ranking? Are you a die-hard Kate Hudson fan? Comment!

1 comment:

joe burns said...

My ranking; 1. Frances Mcdormand 2. Kate Hudson 3. Marcia Gay Harden 4. Julie Walters 5. Judi Dench