Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Final Conclusion - Best Actress 1990

About the field: weaker than I expected. I was looking forward to it, but it wasn't very great. I'm a bit bitter to tell the truth. I love enjoying a year fully and I did not feel that with this one. Naturally,I loved #1 and #2 and the other others were not bad either, I just felt that something was missing. 1989 might have been too strong and I compared this to that. Glenn Close was really robbed: she absolutely rocked in Reversal of Fortune and should have won (not even nominated damn it). GAH! Only #1 got really close to her. But let's just see the not so surprising ranking, which was quite easy to do (especially picking the winner):

This is not an amazing achievement as it really did not touch me despite some strong and excellently solved scenes. Mostly, it's very slow and uninteresting, but she couldn't catch my attention even after the good moments. It's proper work, but far from fantastic.

Anjelica Huston's performance in The Grifters is bit a mixed bag: there are moments of boredom and slowness, but then there's such intensity and mistery in it, which almost made me speechless. It's not flawless, but it's very memorable work by a talented actress.

This is not a performance to praise to high graces, but it's utterly charming, loveable, funny, entertaining acting, which is free of overacting and loud moments. It serves its purpuse quite properly and gets so much out of the screenplay, which is not the best-written.

Although Meryl is a bit miscast (that's not her fault actually), her performance as the desperate Suzanne Vale is pitch-perfect: it's hilarious, a bit saddening, powerful, emotional and extremely loveable. Meryl nails all the aspects and faces of this characters and createst one of her most vibrant turns ever.

When writing about her, I try not to be influenced by her performance's iconic status, but I just cannot forget it. Annie Wilkes is in motion picture history and (to quote her) Kathy Bates "had a little something to do with that"). With this crazy character, she created one of the most memorable screen villians in history, who is going to scare us for a long time.

So I can proudly announce
that my winner is...
Kathy Bates in Misery
No, Kathy, I did not doubt your brilliance, I swear XD


Omissions: 

  • Great Glenn Close in Reversal of Fortune 
  • Laura Dern in Wild at Heart *My Pick*

The ranking of the already reviewed years:
  1. 1974
  2. 1989
  3. 1959
  4. 1939
  5. 2009
  6. 1963
  7. 1990
  8. 1978
  9. 1954
  10. 1948
  11. 2002
  12. 1940
  13. 1998
About the next year: I think it's not going to be a big surprise, but let me tell you that the competition is very heated and not over yet, so you will know only when I announce the year. I really don't know what else to say, but I'm really looking forward to the next year. But more about that later. However, I will not do the runner-up year after the winner as I found a year, I'm crazy about and I want to do that. I can't wait. :)
What do you think? Any thoughts on your mind?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No surprise here - and I agree about Joanne, there's nothing interesting about it.

Louis Morgan said...

Not a surprising year, since Bates is a good winner.

joe burns said...

I thought Meryl would win...;...


Hm, I'll say 1966 is next?

dinasztie said...

Joe: I was considering giving her the win, but Kathy was obvious after all. 1966 is probably next :), unless a 1986 fanclub starts voting today crazily.

Fritz said...

Kathy was a sure thing! :-)

mrripley said...

hi,isn't glenn supporting in rof and lead in hamlet for 1990.

Anonymous said...

Great that Kathy won and that you acknowledge Glenn Close who was perfect and brilliant in Reversal of Fortune!

Dario said...

Since you picked Laura Dern for this year, have you seen her Oscar-nominated turn on Rambling Rose? I thought she was really good there.