Saturday, November 28, 2009

If I picked the winners...


This is a brand new series, I hope you'll enjoy. These entries are going to be quite short but I will post two decades per entry.
The first category is Best Actress and the decade is the 1940s.
So my picks for the win are:
1940: Katharine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story
1941: Bette Davis in The Little Foxes
1942: Greer Garson in Mrs Miniver
1943: Jennifer Jones in The Song of Bernadette
1944: Ingrid Bergman in Gaslight
1945: Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce
1946: Celia Johnson in Brief Encounter
1947: Rosalind Russel in Mourning Becomes Electre
1948: Jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda
1949: Olivia de Havilland in The Heiress

The second category is Best Supporting Actress and the decade is the 1960s. Just a personal note: I'm going to explain the 1962 pick later, so don't be mad at me please. I have quite controversial picks for this decade.
1960: Shirley Jones in Elmer Gantry
1961: Rita Moreno in West Side Story
1962: Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate*
1963: Lilia Skala in Lilies of the Field
1964: Lila Kedrova in Zorba the Greek (favorite winner)
1966: Sandy Dennis in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
1967: Mildred Natwick in Barefoot in the Park
1968: Lynn Carlin in Faces
1969: Goldie Hawn in Cactus Flower (I really mean it)
*I chose Lansbury over Patty Duke who's my #4 winner ever because I really hate when people don't get what they deserve. In Duke's case it's a tied Best Actress win with Anne Bancroft. They were co-leads and they supported each other. So that's why I boycott this decision (same applies to Tatum O'Neal). I'm really stupid because I should be happy that she won shouldn't I.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about Duke being a colead, but still she had to win an Oscar for her piece of art performance!

joe burns said...

I also think that they were co-leads,even though I need to rewatch The Miracle Worker.